Re: F38 proposal: Unified Kernel Support Phase 1 (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Thu, Dec 22, 2022 at 04:53:47PM +0100, Jiri Konecny wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> > == Benefit to Fedora ==
> > * Better secure boot support (specifically the initrd is covered by
> > the signature).
> > * Better confidential computing support (measurements are much more
> > useful if we know what hashes to expect for the initrd).
> > * More robust boot process (generating the initrd on the installed
> > system is fragile, root cause for kernel bugs reported is simply a
> > broken initrd sometimes).
> Just want to add Anaconda installation environment is also fighting with the
> second point.

Third point I assume, i.e. initrd generation problems being reported as
anaconda bugs?

While being at it: anaconda seems to explicitly call dracut to generate
the initrd (according to the messages it prints).  What is the reason
for this?  Shouldn't this already happen as part of the rpm transaction,
when the kernel install scripts are running?

> Thanks to the PXE boot it's maybe even more fragile
> environment.

Yep.  I'd highly recommend to use uefi http boot whenever possible.

Note that uefi http boot can also work with iso images, i.e. you can
have the dhcp server hand out URLs to the fedora netboot iso.  The
firmware will fetch the iso, create a ramdisk, add a acpi table for
it so the OS finds it too, then go boot as it would be a physical
cdrom all the way up to anaconda.

BTW: Having some way other than the kernel command line to pass config
options to anaconda would make this much more useful.

take care,
  Gerd