Re: F38 proposal: Shorter Shutdown Timer (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Fri, Dec 30, 2022 at 12:02 PM Tomasz Torcz <tomek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 30, 2022 at 12:59:19AM -0500, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

> > > My problem is not "defined timeouts" it is systemd delaying shutdowns
> > > for no obvious reasons.
> >
> > You've apparently not encountered the corruption of a database under
> > heavy load where the cache where swapspace has not yet been propagated
> > to disk. Imagine a server running a lot of virtual machines for an
> > image of what an overly aggressive shutdown timeout can do to your
> > otherwise stable systems.
>
>   This sounds serious, and this is the situation in which default
> setting is not correct, no matter if its 15 seconds or 120 seconds.
> The database and VM services should define own timeout (it goes from 0
> to infinity, plenty of values to choose from).

I didn't mean to give Talf a hard time.

systemd has been used to inflict unwelcome timeouts before, so it
should be modified only with caution. I'm especially thinking of that
infamous "let's make systemd responsible for ending logins" change
that broke screen, nohup, tux, and leaving background tasks running.
(See https://lwn.net/Articles/690151/ ) We need to be cautious about
not being able to personally picture why someone would use an existing
default and overriding it casually, and inflicting our new logic on
the unsuspecting existing userbase.