Re: F38 proposal: Shorter Shutdown Timer (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Wed, 2022-12-28 at 13:00 +0100, Ralf Corsépius wrote:

> Am 28.12.22 um 11:49 schrieb Peter Boy:
> >
> > It is a good idea to make the timeout configurable.  But the
> > default timeout for servers must remain unchanged.
>
> My problem is not "defined timeouts" it is systemd delaying shutdowns
> for no obvious reasons.
>
> And as you asked: On my (bare metal) servers, Im am occasionally
> experiencing delayed shutdowns in the order of several minutes.
>
> This is simply inacceptable!

At one stage I timed this for an NFS failure and it took 30-40mins to
finally timeout and reboot.  In some cases, especially related to
filesystems and umounts it will try a number of time, eventually give
up after 3 * 90s, and then come back to it again later, going through
the whole process again.  Worse still it had already had issues with
stopping executable on that filesystem, as not everything is run in
parallel.

However, given some of the arguments raised, it may be worth looking a
different values for workstations/laptops against real servers.  If a
workstation or laptop doesn't reboot in a minute or so, they will
usually get hit with a force reset.  Real server installations are very
different, they will almost always be left to reboot "eventually".

I'd also note that this has always been configurable, it is just now
suggesting a different value from the default.

> Ralf

Regards
Frank