Re: F38 proposal: Unified Kernel Support Phase 1 (System-Wide Change proposal)

On 22/12/2022 21:18, Chris Murphy wrote:
XBOOTLDR in practice needs to be FAT. I don't like it. But I like it better than choosing batshit as the alternative, and having a bunch of signed efifs drivers on the ESP per distro sounds like batshit to me. And not in the good way.

I don't think so. XBOOTLDR on FAT32 should be rejected as a defective by design due to a FAT32 unreliability.

It's harder to fix this problem if XBOOTLDR is not FAT. efifs drivers need to be Secure Boot signed just like the bootloader. The firmware already trusts its built-in FAT driver, for better or worse, so what is the exact problem with just using that so we don't have to deal with UEFI SB signing efifs drivers, and the much harder job of expecting every distro to include signed efifs drivers *on the ESP* for multiboot to work?

Who we are to make decisions for other Linux distributions? Every distribution can use whatever they want.

I doubt that Fedora's shim+grub2 can boot Ubuntu kernels in Secure Boot mode and vice versa.

--
Sincerely,
  Vitaly Zaitsev (vitaly@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)