Re: Small rant: installer environment size

On Thu, Dec 8, 2022 at 5:06 PM Adam Williamson
<adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 2022-12-08 at 16:51 +0000, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 8, 2022 at 12:58 PM Peter Robinson <pbrobinson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > I've done a few passes, dropping a bunch of older firmware upstream
> > > that are no longer supported in any stable kernel release, also a
> > > bunch of de-dupe and linking of files rather than shipping of multiple
> > > copies of the same firmware. It's improved things a bit, unfortunately
> > > a lot of the dead firmware was tiny compared to say average modern
> > > devices like GPUs or WiFI.
> > >
> > > The problem with a lot of the firmware, and with the new nvidia "open
> > > driver" which shoves a lot of stuff into firmware in order to have an
> > > upstreamable driver apparently the firmwares there are going to be
> > > 30+Mb each, is that they're needed to bring up graphics/network etc to
> > > even just install so I don't know how we can get around this and still
> > > have a device work enough to be able to install the needed firmware
> > > across the network.
> > >
> > > Ideas on how to solve that problem welcome.
> >
> > Does compressing the firmware using zstd (perhaps
> > at an aggressive level) level help at all?
>
> It already *is* compressed, which is why it doesn't get any smaller in
> the compressed filesystem image, unlike the other things I mentioned.
> Check for yourself - look under /lib/firmware and you'll see only
> things ending in .xz.

And "aggressive level zstd" makes little difference TBH, and we went
with XZ over zstd because of the support matrix needed actoss various
pieces to support compression wasn't there, and may not be yet, I've
not revisited the whole end to end process since it landed to audit
all the bits since the first feature.