Re: Should the policy documents better reflect real package maintenance practice?

On Sun, 2022-11-27 at 23:35 -0800, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> I'd like to suggest specific updates (I'd feel more like I was
> contributing to a productive conversation and less like I'm merely
> complaining), but I'm a little unclear FESCo's point of view. I'll do my
> best.
>
> Given the discussion so far, I feel like Fedora effectively allows at
> least leaf nodes to update without significant oversight, and I wonder
> if it would be useful to reflect that distinction more fully in the
> philosophy statement.

I'm not sure I agree with this, because practically speaking, there's
very little "oversight" of anything in Fedora. Fedora is heavily trust-
based; we do not have the resources (or, really, the inclination) to
have a Fedora Police Force running around enforcing policies. To say
this in *every* policy is kinda redundant, and may give the wrong
impression. People are supposed to follow the policies because the
policies are there and we expect folks to work in good faith. If that
doesn't happen, the whole system has kinda broken down, and writing
down notes about what gets "enforced" and what doesn't might give the
wrong impression.

There are also leaf nodes we care about a lot. Firefox is a leaf node,
more or less, but we do care about updates to it because it's an
*important* leaf node. Ultimately you use Fedora to *do stuff*, and a
lot of the doing-stuff packages are leaf nodes...
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA