Re: Should the policy documents better reflect real package maintenance practice?

Dne 24. 11. 22 v 9:52 Vít Ondruch napsal(a):
I think that the documentation is right and should be honored.

For the audience - the documentation is here:

https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/fesco/Updates_Policy/#philosophy

Updates in stable should be exception, if there really is no other option.

Yup. It is even documented there:

"Some classes of software will not fit in these guidelines. If your package does not fit in one of the classes below, but you think it should be allowed to update more rapidly, propose a new exception class to FESCo and/or request an exception for your specific update case."

I have to make confession. I am breaking this guidelines too. With releasing of new version of Mock and fedora-license-data. The problem for me is that the list of these exception is not available and not maintained. I inherited Mock from Clark and later gave it to Pavel and I am now merely co-maintainer. So I really do not know if Mock has had the exception. And because no one enforce it I even did not apply for the exception for fedora-license-data and I use common sense, becase it does not have sense to have old data in stable branches.

Does anyone else feel like the documentation should be updated, or am I making too much of this?

+1 to update documentation. Or even better, document which packages has the exception. And later ask QE to create tool which will warn if packages outside of this list bump up version.

Miroslav