Re: %{bash_completions_dir} or %{%bash_completion_dir} what is the correct macro ?

Sérgio Basto wrote:
> in an effort to do things correctly and without hacks
> I noticed that redhat-rpm-config-202-1.fc35.noarch defines
> %bash_completions_dir and epel-rpm-macros %defines bash_completion_dir
>
> Which one is the correct ? hopefully we have a few case [1] (18) vs [2]
> (14)
> I think the bash_completions_dir is the right one ... , what is you
> opinion ?

I agree, for that's worth. :)

In EPEL, `bash_completion_dir` was added to epel-rpm-macros
in 46557e2 (Add %bash_completion_dir., 2016-08-11) on the
epel7 branch.  I don't know if there is any corresponding
list discussion of that change, but I didn't spend any time
searching outside of Git and Pagure.  The commit message
doesn't reference any ticket or discussion.

The change was copied into the epel8 and epel9 branches when
they were initialized.

In Fedora, `bash_completions_dir` was added to
redhat-rpm-config in 483a3b8 (Add macros.shell-completions,
2022-06-25), per PR#206¹.

Subsequently, this change was made for EPEL on the epel9
branch in c212ede (Backport macros.shell-completions from
Fedora, 2022-09-01), via PR#49².

While the non-plural form in EPEL predates what is in
Fedora, I think that the plural form as used in Fedora and
EPEL-9 would be best going forward.  That just requires
adding macros.shell-completions to the epel7³ and epel8⁴
branches of epel-rpm-macros.  (I didn't test the changes, I
only prepared them to get a start on the work if that
direction is desirable.)

The existing `bash_completion_dir` could be changed to point
to `bash_completions_dir` to avoid breaking any users of it
while also making it clearer to folks reading the macros
files which is the preferred spelling.

¹ https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/redhat-rpm-config/pull-request/206
² https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/epel-rpm-macros/pull-request/49
³ https://src.fedoraproject.org/fork/tmz/rpms/epel-rpm-macros/c/9c7b88bhttps://src.fedoraproject.org/fork/tmz/rpms/epel-rpm-macros/c/dc9df62