Re: what is our official rule on preserving the upgrade path between releases?

On Mon, 2022-11-21 at 09:00 +0000, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was looking for a clear answer in the packaging docs to the question whether
> package nevr must be always higher in later releases. I recall people saying that
> now 'distro-upgrade' is the recommended upgrade method and the requirement of
> keeping the upgrade path without downgrades isn't there anymore. (This comes up
> in the semiannual discussion about upgrade tests.)
>
> But I don't see an unambiguous statement in the Packaging Guidelines either way.
> https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/Versioning/#_rawhide_is_allowed_to_lag_temporarily
> says that Rawhide is partially exempt, which stongly implies that other branches
> are _not_ exempt.
>
> So… has there been any change of the Guidelines on this and where is
> the official policy documented?

I think the "rule" on this got lost, probably unintentionally, in a
rewrite in 2017. If you look at the original version of the versioning
guide on the wiki -
https://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=Packaging:Versioning&oldid=459693
- it has this "rule" in the preamble:

"In Fedora we want to ensure that there is always an upgrade path from
Fedora release to Fedora release and from Fedora release to the
packages in updates. To do that we need to make sure the packages in
the newer Fedora releases have an equal or higher Epoch:Version-Release
(EVR) than the ones in older releases. For example, Fedora-13 ships
with foo-1.0-1.fc13 and Fedora-14 ships with foo-1.0-2.fc14. This
example shows that the Fedora-14 package will properly upgrade the
Fedora-13 package."

...and the "Rawhide exception" was in the same block, a couple of
paragraphs later:

"The one time where we temporarily break the upgrade path is from
released Fedora to rawhide. It is allowable to temporarily have a
higher EVR in a released Fedora vs rawhide in cases where we need to
get a fix out to users of the Fedora releases quickly (for instance,
for a security issue) but the fixed package does not currently build in
rawhide (for instance, because of a change in a dependent library that
requires porting effort). The changes should be checked into Fedora's
SCM for rawhide although there is not yet a build and getting a rawhide
build that restores the upgrade path should be a priority."

That stayed the same through to March 2017. On March 2, the page was
rewritten, with the note "Completely rewritten as part of
https://pagure.io/packaging-committee/issue/656 ". In that version -
https://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=Packaging:Versioning&oldid=487239
- the preamble is rewritten and contains only a very oblique reference
to this issue: "To ensure proper ordering between updates to a package
within a Fedora release, as well as between Fedora releases". The
"Rawhide exception" and the minorbump note were kept (and moved to the
bottom of the page), but it seems nobody noticed these were now an
exception to and an expediency for a "rule" that was no longer stated.

Practically speaking, before we switched to doing distro-sync-by-
default in all supported upgrade methods, broken upgrade paths in
packages included in default package sets were treated as release
blocking bugs, because they resulted in a violation of the release
criteria. Since that switch, we no longer treat them as release-
blocking, because they don't break the criteria. I do still like to get
them cleaned up when possible. I don't know whether FPC still "intends"
for the guideline to exist (and just didn't realize it had rewritten it
out of existence), though.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA