Re: metadata of updateinfo.xml

Il 20/11/22 11:05, Neal Gompa ha scritto:
On Sun, Nov 20, 2022 at 4:32 AM Mattia Verga via devel
<devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Is there any guide that explains fields of the updateinfo.xml files
which are generated in repositories?

I'm trying to figure out
https://github.com/fedora-infra/bodhi/issues/2487 and I think we
currently have weird data in updates. For example, looking to the
'issued' and 'modified' dates of few updates I see that the issued date
is greater than the modified date... that's because Bodhi modifies the
issued date with the timestamp of when the update is pushed to the
repository, rather than using the submission date.

I don't think that field is meant to be modified and I suppose it can
lead yum/dnf to screw up. Is there any expert that can point me in the
right direction here?

The closest thing to a guide is this schema documentation file I found
long ago from python-Updateinfo:
https://pagure.io/python-Updateinfo/blob/master/f/docs/updateinfo.xsd

In terms of a human expert, Pat Riehecky from CentOS is your best bet
since he analyzed the format and built python-Updateinfo for
Scientific Linux.

I think you're right about issued and modified dates, though. That
said, the issued date is normally supposed to be when it's released to
the repository, I believe. But if we have both issued and modified,
then issued should be when it's *first* published (first time it goes
out of pending).

Well, if issued date is meant to be the date when the update is pushed to a repo, it will be changed from when the update is pushed to testing repo or to stable repo. Is that the intended behavior?

Nevertheless, I think Bodhi is currently producing faulty metadata, because the updateinfo file is made before recording changes to the updates. So:

I think all of those date changes are the cause of the original issue reported for EPEL7, where yum screws up about metadata reporting bad updates. I suppose dnf just ignores those kind of errors, but the underling problem is still there.

I am quite worried about touching such critical code in Bodhi composer before someone else confirms my thought...

Mattia