Re: Fedora 37 compose report: 20221108.n.0 changes

On Wed, 2022-11-09 at 07:47 +1100, Ian Laurie wrote:
> On 11/9/22 01:18, Fedora Rawhide Report wrote:
> > OLD: Fedora-37-20221107.n.0
> > NEW: Fedora-37-20221108.n.0
> [big snip]
>
> This seems to have all the gnome fixes, plus a load of KDE fixes, and
> the 6.0.7 kernel.... shouldn't this be a release candidate?

Nightlies and candidate composes are separate streams. A nightly is
built (or attempted, at least) every day, with whatever is "in stable"
(i.e. tagged 'f37'), regardless. Candidate composes are triggered by
hand in response to compose requests which QA (usually me) file:

https://pagure.io/releng/issue/11094

candidate composes contain everything "in stable", plus any specific
blocker/FE fixes listed in the compose request. Their configuration
differs slightly - they are a different compose "type" so far as Pungi
is concerned, which has several consequences; they have a label (which
means the artifacts have different filenames from those in a nightly
compose), and some metadata is set differently, which (for instance)
means the label identifying the image as PRE-RELEASE/TEST does not
appear in anaconda. For these reasons, a nightly compose can *never* be
the thing we actually release.

The RC-1.7 compose already had all the things that were "new" in the
20221108.n.0 compose. During the freeze, we would never push packages
that weren't in the last candidate to stable unless we were sure we
would need to build another candidate. Right now RC-1.7 looks
"releasable", so we will not push anything stable that wasn't in it.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA