Re: Building two conflicting binaries from the same source

On Tuesday, 8 November 2022 09:43:40 GMT Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 04, 2022 at 01:44:41PM +0100, Petr Menšík wrote:
>
> > If there are binaries with different build results, I think some
> > code should be refactored out of the binary itself. The common parts
> > can remain, but hardware specific parts should be moved to
> > dynamically loaded *.so files. The correct files should be loaded
> > depending on hardware found on the system. If auto-detection is
> > wrong, manual configuration via configuration file should be used
> > instead.
>

> I think this is right.  In particular you cannot assume that "the
> hardware" is a thing which remains stable for the lifetime of a Fedora
> install.
>
> Sure, if you install Fedora on your laptop then the hardware is
> unlikely to change.  But if you install Fedora on a VM then it can be
> moved and booted on a VM with different (virtual) hardware.  And
> there's also the template case where someone prepares a disk image on
> one set of hardware (maybe virtual or physical) and then the disk
> image is used as a template to clone multiple systems from.
>
> Having autodetection at run time deals with this, having different
> hardware-specific RPMs installed does not.
>
> Rich.

Even on a laptop or desktop, hardware may change underneath you. For example,
early Intel Alder Lake CPUs would expose AVX-512 in CPUID if you turned off all
the Efficiency cores, and just left the Performance cores; a later microcode
update stopped this working, and force-disabled AVX-512.

There's also been efforts to bring mainframe-style "upgradeable silicon" down
to the consumer market, like the Intel Upgrade Service[0]. For laptops, this
has great appeal to manufacturers - you can build a bunch of machines with a
soldered down Celeron CPU, and upgrade them to Core i3/i5/i7 during pre-sale
provisioning, allowing you to reduce your stock needs. Once you can do that,
why not also sell the upgrade keys to people who bought the cheap Celeron,
making a profit on up-selling them to the i7 later?

[0] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Upgrade_Service
--
Simon Farnsworth