Re: SPDX Change update

On Mon, Nov 7, 2022 at 2:04 PM Miroslav Suchý <msuchy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Please, start migrating your spec files **now**. You can use the tool `license-fedora2spdx` from package `license-validate`. Use this opportunity to check if your package license matches the upstream version - especially if you took over the package from the previous maintainer. If you are not sure what SPDX string to use, ask for help on the “legal” mailing list https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/legal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/

I would just add to this, to generalize a point Miroslav is making:
this is a good opportunity to improve the clarity and descriptive
accuracy of the license tag of your package. To me that possibility is
one of the main justifications for migrating to the use of SPDX
expressions (though there are others). In addition to posting on the
legal list, you can also ask for help by submitting an issue to the
Fedora License Data project
(https://gitlab.com/fedora/legal/fedora-license-data). I think in most
cases the migration will be fairly straightforward and this has been
shown by the work done so far. There are definitely going to be some
cases that are more difficult  -- we can help figure out how to deal
with those.

Richard