Re: systemd 252 feature: SUPPORT_END in /etc/os-release

Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> See:  https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2022-October/048519.html
>
>    Systemd will set the taint flag 'support-ended' if it detects that
>    the OS image is past its end-of-support date. This date is declared
>    in a new /etc/os-release field SUPPORT_END= described below.
>
>    [...]
>
>    os-release gained a new field SUPPORT_END=YYYY-MM-DD to inform the user
>    when their system will become unsupported.
>

> Should we set this? I kind of think we should.

Yes!

We have started to set it in Amazon Linux 2022, and likely will at some
point do so in prior versions as well (even though they all use older
than 252 versions of systemd).

This is very much so we can get as much information as possible into
machine readable formats for security tooling to be able to read.

> I would suggest we set it to the expected EOL based on the nominal schedule.
> We could either release updates to extend it if we slip... or... just not do
> that.

The update is a rather small and unobtrusive one, and in our experience
of doing updates to our system-release package (equivalent of
fedora-release), we've managed to not cause any negative customer issues
with modifications to it that weren't functional in some way
(e.g. switching default repository setup to https endpoints rather than http)