Re: F40 proposal: Porting Fedora to Modern C (System-Wide Change proposal)

* Stephen Gallagher:

>> > Concretely, as an upstream  maintainer, what should they do to test
>> > the behaviour of their code ?  Is there more to it than just
>> > setting CFLAGS="-std=gnu99", if they want to validate this in their
>> > upstream CI ahead of GCC 14 arriving ?
>>
>> It's -Werror=implicit-int -Werror=implicit-function-declaration.  Best
>> to throw in -Werror=int-conversion -Werror=strict-prototypes
>> -Werror=old-style-definition.  -Werror=int-conversion should really be a
>> no-brainer, the other two are about the removal of old-style function
>> definitions and declarations that are not prototypes from C2X (also
>> mentioned in the proposal).  I can probably spell this out in the
>> proposal.
>
> Even better: could you put together an RPM macro we can use in
> specfiles to essentially opt-in early to the F40 Change?

Mentioned elsewhere in the thread, repeating in case it got lost:

I think we need a buildroot/side tag with a patched compiler.  I filed a
request for it a while back:

  Long-term side tag for toolchain experiment
  <https://pagure.io/releng/issue/10392>

Flag injection isn't reliable and can't be used to model all the
expected changes.

Thanks,
Florian