Re: F40 proposal: Porting Fedora to Modern C (System-Wide Change proposal)

* Ralf Corsépius:

> Am 25.10.22 um 16:05 schrieb Ben Cotton:
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/PortingToModernC.
>> This document represents a proposed Change. As part of the Changes
>> process, proposals are publicly announced in order to receive
>> community feedback. This proposal will only be implemented if approved
>> by the Fedora Engineering Steering Committee.
>
> IMHO, this proposal doesn't make any sense.
>
> Fedora is a collection of packages, which all obey different sets of
> language dialects, have various different upstreams and care about
> Fedora to varying extents.
>
> I.e. all Fedora can do is to switch on "modern" C-dialects as
> C-defaults, but that's all.

Which part doesn't make sense?

Gentoo is doing similar work (and we're going to collaborate) just to be
able to build the distribution with Clang 16 and later, which is going
to make changes break C89 compatibility in the default configuration.

I think GCC should eventually make this change as well because there are
significant usability improvements possible.  We won't have much of a
choice once C2Y (not next year's release but the one after that) adopts
auto for local type inference because that conflicts with a legacy C89
compatibility features still enabled by GCC by default.  Doing this now
means that “auto copy = strdup(source);” is not valid C99 to C2X, so we
can detect it more easily.  Once upstreams start using the auto keyword
in C sources, this is going to be much harder.  So right now is probably
the absolutely last point in term when this whole thing is going to be a
lot of work, but not *too* complicated.

We will have to build some parts of the distribution in C89 mode
potentially indefinitely, but some work is required to actually achieve
that.  We need to know which packages not to switch, and make sure that
whatever mechanism we use actually works for their (often weird, old)
build systems.

Thanks,
Florian