How much is known about -Os on X86_64?

I have a few questions. How much work has been done to benchmark the advantages/disadvantages of using -Os for various FC packages on X86_64? I know that on x86 -Os is used fort he kernel. On X86_64, it looks to me like -Os is not used. In fact, it seems that I read somewhere that one should not use -Os on X86_64, or shouldn't use it on the kernel, or shouldn't use it in FC4, or something like that and I can't seem to relocate that reference. Anyone know anything about that?

Also, how useful would it be if did some real world benchmarking on my Athlon64 2800+ system running FC4/X86_64? Would I be wasting my time, duplicating someone else's previous efforts? What packages might benefit? Is it possible that compilintg the whole distro -Os might be a win? (Intuitively, it seems that everything being a little smaller could have a cummulative effect on the speed of the whole system, saving disk reads, main memory, cache memory, etc.)

I'm no expert at this stuff, so I figured asking on the list before I do much work would be a good idea. Searches of the archives don't seem to turn up much except that "-Os can sometimes help".

So far, I've just played around a little bit with bzip2. -Os seems to be a pretty good win for bzip2 compression, giving over about a 12% improvement.

Thank you for any input.

-Steve Bergman