Re: Replacing GNOME Disks with Blivet GUI in comps' admin-tools?

Josh Boyer wrote:
> I think it would be interesting to replace it with Colin's OS
> Container ideas.  Want KDE?  Install the KDE OS container layer.
> Creation of that is in a container file.

That does not even come close to fulfilling all the use cases comps is for.
A comps group can both be used to create images (including container images)
and be installed at any time on an existing system. This is much more
flexible than just having to install a whole new container for every desktop
environment you want to use.

> That's a departure from traditional installations, but it's still
> interesting.

Not for me, sorry.

> The rub here is that comps isn't well loved, but it's not very complicated
> either.  It's a list of packages associated with a thing, and our tools
> know how to interpret it.  A modern replacement for "a list of things" by
> itself isn't going to be very ground breaking.

But it ultimately still needs to be "a list of things", you cannot replace
apples with oranges as you seem to suggest. (And at that point, I see no
point in redoing comps from scratch, we just need to improve what is already
there, adding the missing features, and then actually making use of them.)

> Changing how we think about and deploy the OS gives us more interesting
> options.

But "changing how we think about and deploy the OS" is not what this thread
is about!

I am fed up of containers being constantly sold as the one-size-fits-it-all
solution to all our problems, even where it is completely off topic.

(And ultimately, replacing a system of package groups with one of "take it
or leave it" containers would give the end user *fewer* options, not more.
The package groups can easily be used to compose containers, but not the
opposite.)

        Kevin Kofler