Re: F38 proposal: Modernize Live Media (System-Wide Change proposal)

> On Tue, Oct 18, 2022 at 10:43 PM Ben Cotton <bcotton(a)redhat.com&gt; wrote:
>

> Neal, Matt, what is the rationale for enabling persistence for the default
> boot option? I have mixed opinions about this. One of the benefits of a
> Live image, as we use it today, is that it's always the same/fresh. If I
> use it and then hand it over to a friend/colleague, I don't need to worry
> that some personal files (like a browser history) were left behind. I also
> don't need to worry that I (or the previous user) made some changes which
> would negatively impact the installation process or my user environment
> (like configuring a different keymap, or installing some updates). It's
> always as the creators intended. With the proposed Change, suddenly I need
> to care and need to worry.

Yes, default should be the pristine image, at least as long no persistent overlay exists.

> My impression is that currently persistence use is basically non-existent.
> Our well-advertised tools like Fedora Media Writer don't support it. Even

And that is exactly why.

I used to use it quite a alot - and be it just selecting the right keyboard layout for trying out an RC or such on various boxes which all happened to have the same keyboard layout, being in the same country.

Another use case is as a handy rescue option, where - again - I might want to set up my environment (home overlay), or even trying out selective updates between RCs, say for QA purposes (system overlay).