Re: Dual licenses question

On Mon, Oct 17, 2022 at 12:10:26PM +0200, Sandro wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently updating brewtarget [0] which I recently adopted.
>
> For a handful of PNG files upstream has the following in their COPYRIGHT
> file: License: CC-BY-SA-3.0 or LGPL-3.0 [1].
>
> The text of the CC license is in the file, however the text of the LGPL
> license is not, nor is it shipped separately. Does upstream need to ship the
> text of the LGPL license or does it imply the PNG files are shipped under
> the CC license?

If the COPYRIGHT file explicitly stated the PNG files are dual licensed,
then (in the absence of any more explicit statement elsewhere in the
source tree) the COPYRIGHT file statement is considered binding, despite
the fact they forgot to ship the actual LGPL license file text. Upstream
should be encouraged to ship the license text to make this more clear
though.

With regards,
Daniel