Re: F38 proposal: Deprecate python-toml (Self-Contained Change proposal)

On Sat Oct 15, 2022 at 19:23 +0200, Miro Hrončok wrote:
> > Perhaps the "Migrating to tomllib on Python 3.11+ and falling back to
> > tomli" approach should be more strongly recommended? tomllib is based
> > off of tomli's code and is yet another thing that has to be bootstrapped
> > during Python rebuilds. python-toml AND python-tomli have been removed
> > from ELN/RHEL 10, as they're both made redundant by tomllib.
>
> Sure, "Migrating to tomllib on Python 3.11+ and falling back to tomli" is the
> recommended approach. How do I make that more visible?

I think the admonitions you added convey that well. I would also
rearrange the suggestions so the recommended approach is the first thing that
people see. Something like:

1.4 Detailed Description
    1.4.1 List of components still (Build)Requiring python3-toml
    1.4.2 Migrating to tomllib on Python 3.11+ and falling back to tomli
    1.4.3 Migrating to tomllib
    1.4.4 Migrating to tomli
    1.4.5 Migrating to tomli-w

> I've removed the "fallback to toml" option entirely now when toml is in EPEL 8
> (thanks for that).

Sure! I started working on tomli for EPEL 7, so that should be covered
as well.

> > I wonder if it would make sense to also phase out python-tomli at some
> > point.
>
> I was thinking about deprecating that one as well, but I thought perhaps it's
> too soon for some upstreams.
<snip>
> I am slowly walking trough upstream projects and dealing with the tomli
> dependency. Chances are, we might get rid of it naturally without deprecation.
</snip>

I think that's a good approach. It makes sense to avoid deprecating
packages when a gentler approach would work.

> When we deal with RHEL 10, patching tomli imports
> to make them tomllib imports seems "trivial" (unlike migrating from toml).

Yeah, you still have to change the imports, but you don't have to deal
with TOMLDecodeError or opening files in bytes mode.

> One slight correction: Neither python-tomli nor python-toml has not been
> removed from ELN, they will only be removed once not depended upon by other ELN
> pacakges.
>
> https://tiny.distro.builders/view-rpm--view-eln--python3-tomli.html
> https://tiny.distro.builders/view-rpm--view-eln--python3-toml.html

Ah, I see; they've been marked as unwanted but not yet removed.

> > FWIW, the list of packages that directly require tomli is
> > relatively small.
> >
> > $ ./python_toml_deps.py python3-tomli
> > Runtime dependents of python3-tomli:

> > 3. python3-flit
> > 4. python3-flit-core
>
> Flit has been dealt with upstream:
>
> https://github.com/pypa/flit/commit/dba0f317c52

It's been dealt with upstream, but the python-flit package needs to be
changed to not pull it in unconditionally.

--
Maxwell G (@gotmax23)
Pronouns: He/Him/His