Re: limiting the (systemd) journal size

On Di, 27.09.22 10:12, Chris Murphy (lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
65;6800;1c
> The obvious bike-shedding questions are: Is 4G is too much or too
> little? If so what amount it should be? Is size still the correct
> approach? Or should we consider a max retention time? And if so,
> what would it be and how granular should it be?
>
> Also, what's the scope? Is a change needed Fedora-wide, in a manner
> that's upstreamable? That could prove difficult because any change
> will negatively impact other use cases, not least of which is what
> the upgrade behavior should be if it'll involve trimming
> journals. Are the current defaults optimal for most use cases most
> of the time? There will be a higher burden of persuasion to get a
> Fedora-wide change, rather than optimizing for just desktops.
>
> But that isn't intended to limit the discussion to just the desktop
> case. Just to be aware that the broader and grander the change, the
> more consideration of the consequences there needs to be, i.e. less
> bike shedding.
>
> More background and discussion upstream and Workstation working
> group issues. [1]

BTW, if you can make a good case for this, consider submitting this
change upstream instead of keeping this specific to Fedora. The values
we default to are just some values I came up with which 10y or so and
made rough sense to me, but the idea was always to tweak them as we
learn how things behave in real life. So, if there's good case to be
made to tweak them in some way we can certainly consider making that
upstream.

(i.e. if you compiled a good list of pros/cons and have some specific
values to propose please submit a github issue upstream about this,
and we can look into this.)

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Berlin