Re: Mesa in F37- vaapi support disabled for h264/h265/vc1

On Fri, 30 Sep 2022 22:19:44 +0200
Björn Persson <Bjorn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Kevin Kofler via devel wrote:
> > Considering that we have been shipping these hardware codec
> > interfaces for years without any legal trouble, I find this
> > absolutely ridiculous.
>
> The entire codec patent business is absolutely ridiculous. Such is the
> reality we must live in.

Given the speed which digital development moves, those patents, if they
exist at all, should be no more than 5 years.  As it is, rather than
speed up the rate of innovation, the whole justification for patents,
they are slowing and restricting the rate of innovation in this area.

In the digital space, the cost of development is low, so that the
innovation that those patents are issued for would be discovered in the
course of general research without the patent holder.  There are often
conflicts of who has first discovered some innovation, resolved by
first to file, showing the lack of need for patents at all.