Re: Mesa in F37- vaapi support disabled for h264/h265/vc1

On 9/28/22 22:42, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
So, for CPU's with iGPUs sold retail to people
like me, does Intel (and now including AMD)
include the IP license?  If not, how can I get one
from Intel (who sold me a CPU/iGPU that states
it can decode the codecs in question)?

To be pedantic... the CPU manufacturer claims that the GPU/iGPU provides *acceleration* for decoding of content that has been encoded with the codecs in question. The distinction is important, because the GPU/iGPU cannot do the job on its own, software is required to set it up, feed the data in the right format, and other things, and as has been noted in this thread earlier it's the final combination that appears to trigger patent infringement.

A patent lawyer could probably make the case that if the functionality in the GPU/iGPU has no other useful purpose *except* for decoding this type of content, then the hardware alone is infringing, but that's a totally different discussion. Since Intel and AMD employ large numbers of highly-trained patent lawyers, presumably they've decided that they do not need to address this concern.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
He/Him/His