Re: F39 proposal: Replace DNF with DNF5 (System-Wide Change proposal)

> On Tue, Sep 6, 2022 at 2:29 PM Ben Cotton <bcotton(a)redhat.com&gt; wrote:
>
> Is there any analysis on how many yum3/dnf4 plugins exist outside of
> the core set that the DNF team maintains?  I'm curious how much of a
> porting effort is required to move from yum3/dnf4 for plugin authors.

I think as an analyses can be count the list of dependencies mentioned in Dependencis section. Specially I focused there packages not maintained by DNF team. Plugins that are not in Fedora are difficult to track. The change announcement is also the way how to get information about external dependencies.

> Will there be documentation and best practices on migration for plugin
> maintainers?

Yes, we will provide documentation and an example plugin. But we also are willing to help with the transition.

> Is this daemon optional depending on installation type, or will it be
> running on all installations?  I am assuming it is optional and
> centered mostly around whatever currently needs PackageKit.

DNF5 runs without a daemon. There are user-cases where daemon cannot be used.

> Do we have some statistics on the consolidated installation size of
> DNF5 vs. dnf4?

Yes,
DNF - download size 48 MB, install size 166 MB, 125 Packages
Microdnf - download size 34 MB, install size 115 MB, 101 Packages
Dnf5 with libmodulemd - download size 33 MB, install size 114 MB, 100 Packages

> Any performance comparisons?

Yes, but take them as preliminary:
dnf repoquery $(rpm -qa) - 4.06s
dnf5 repoquery $(rpm -qa) - 1.42s
dnf upgrade $(rpm -qa) --assumeno - 15.77s
dnf5 upgrade $(rpm -qa) --assumeno - 2.57s

Jaroslav