Re: F38 proposal: Node.js Repackaging (Self-Contained Change proposal)

On 07. 09. 22 19:30, Neal Gompa wrote:
That said, I don't think alternatives makes sense for this case.

Me neither. We used this for /usr/bin/python3 in RHEL 8 and it's very bad UX and requires custom hacks in scriptlets even in RHEL 9 to undo it. It's ugly and hard to get rid of.

See https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/Alternatives/

"""
Alternatives MAY be used to allow parallel installation of software when:

the software can be used as a drop-in replacement and functions with sufficient similarity that users and other programs would, within reason, not need to know which variant is currently installed
"""

Not exactly the case here.

"""
AND

the selection of the software is only performed system-wide by the system administrator and end users do not have a need to switch between the variants.
"""

Not exactly the case here either.

Happy to talk to you about other options next week. Just noting this now here fast before I leave for a conference for the rest of this week.

--
Miro Hrončok