Re: F38 proposal: Node.js Repackaging (Self-Contained Change proposal)

On Wed, Sep 07, 2022 at 12:31:27PM -0400, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
On Tue, Sep 6, 2022 at 7:07 PM Ewoud Kohl van Wijngaarden
<ewoud+fedora@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tue, Sep 06, 2022 at 02:28:39PM -0400, Ben Cotton wrote:
>== Benefit to Fedora ==
>=== Packager Benefits ===
>* No more modules to maintain.
>* Availability of multiple Node.js versions in the buildroot means
>that other `nodejs-*` packages can test against multiple supported
>options.
>
>== Scope ==
>* Other developers:
>There should be no need to change any dependent packages, though
>packagers of Node.js software may wish to take advantage of the
>testing opportunities afforded.

How would I, as a packager, deal with this? Will RPM macros be changed?
Should we start to build nodejs-XY-$package similar to how we have
python3-$package (and previously python2-$package) from the source
package python-$package?

The only case where you might need to do this is if you're building an
extension module that needs to be an arch-ful package. For the vast
majority of Node modules, they are noarch.

But what if $package a.b only supports node 16 and $package x.y only supports node 20. Looking at /usr/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules I don't see any version numbers in directories so they can't be coinstalled. Does it mean you drop the node 16 package once node 20 is packaged? It will still be in the load path for node 16 so it could accidentally load incompatible code.

What will the new RPM provides be? today it's simply npm($package) but I
can imagine you want to change that to something versioned too.

See above; I don't think that will be needed in the vast majority of cases.

That you say vast majority of cases means there are edge cases. I think a proposal needs to address those, even if it's saying that it becomes unsupported.