Re: Thoughts welcome: interface between automated test gating and the "critical path"

V Tue, Aug 30, 2022 at 09:39:27AM +0300, Alexander Bokovoy napsal(a):
> On ma, 29 elo 2022, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > On Tue, 2022-08-30 at 00:32 -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:
> > > It sounds to me like the problem is "how do we best use the available
> > > automated test resources?" so I'll answer accordingly.  Ignore me if I
> > > misunderstood ;-)
> >
> > No, not really, sorry if I didn't explain clearly enough :D It's more
> > just a 'what's the best way to work what I want to do around the
> > existing definitions' question. What I want to do is have updates of
> > FreeIPA-related packages gated. The awkwardness is that right now the
> > definition of what gets gated is "critical path packages", and those
> > clearly don't meet the current definition of "critical path".
>
> Not all of them meet the current definition of 'critical path' but many
> do. In fact, almost all crypto-implementing packages should be on that
> list, if not already.
>
> Ideally, use of gating tests should be defined in the component itself.
> Do we have a mechanism to trigger OpenQA runs from the gating.yaml in
> the specific component? If we do, then we really should move it there.
>
> Another part of the problem is that most of these runs should probably
> be consulting, not gating in the sense that failing them should give you
> a clue that things might be wrong but there needs to be a human overview
> of the failures. It is what we have right now with OpenQA-reported
> failures for Bodhi updates in most cases, the test results aren't really
> preventing the submissions from the going forward unless a maintainer
> defined the update configuration to be so.
>
> Ideally, we should have reverse dependency updates to trigger FreeIPA
> tests and give their results a visibility but don't block on failures.

Exactly. If a package needs gating, it can enable it in its dist-git. At the
same time I agree with Kevin, that if a distribution/edition needs to
gate a set of packages, then it should also have it's own way to define the
set.

If a package needs to run tests from a group of related packages, the package
can either manually define the group, or there should be an out-of-band way of
defining the group. (TMT calls it a test plan.)

A reverse dependency is a possible, IMHO good, way of the definition. Alas,
Fedora TMT does not support it
<https://pagure.io/fedora-ci/general/issue/251>.

I feel Adam is aware of it and tries to work around this TMT deficiency
with an allowedlist.

-- Petr