Re: F37 side tag after branching point

On Wed, 24 Aug 2022 at 10:59, Fabio Valentini <decathorpe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 24, 2022 at 10:39 AM Petr Pisar <ppisar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > V Tue, Aug 23, 2022 at 08:16:00PM +0200, Iñaki Ucar napsal(a):
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > We have a new R version sitting on a side tag (f37-build-side-55653)
> > > for a few weeks now, where packages are being rebuilt as time permits.
> > > Unfortunately, F37 is not rawhide anymore, so the question is whether
> > > this side tag could be safely merged both in F37 and rawhide when it
> > > is ready.
> > >
> > I think you can tag any package anywhere. Therefore should be possible to get
> > the same build into both Fedoras.
> >
> > However, it could be unsafe (e.g. a change in C toolchain to distribution
> > macros). To mitigate it I think you can rebuild the packages in a F38 side tag
> > without additional commits. Just follow the order which was used in F37 side
> > tag. The commits exist both in F37 and F38 git branches. F38 builds will get
> > unique release strings due to differing %dist tag.
>
> When I was in a similar situation around the F37 branch point, releng
> told me that while it would be *possible* for them to tag builds into
> f38, it is possibly ill-advisable, for some of the reasons Petr
> mentioned here, but also, the packages will get signed with the f37
> key and not the f38 key, which will create another set of problems
> down the line.
>
> Iñaki, do you have a list of packages that still needs to be rebuilt for f37?
> I have provenpackager rights and could handle those builds for you,

Thank you very much, but note that @spot (in cc) is slowly working
through the packages, so maybe it's best to coordinate with him.

> if you give me
>
> - name of the side tag

f37-build-side-55653

blist-37.txt attached, but note this may change if @spot sends new builds.

> - which order they need to be built in (or at least how to determine an order)

blist-37.txt contains batches of packages to be built in order, one
per line. This was obtained by

1. cloning all the packages,
2. sed'ing the specs to set "%bcond_without bootstrap" and
"%bcond_with checks" in those specs that contain the opposite (not
sure if there is any other edge case),
3. evaluating the specs to get the BuildRequires, and finally
4. using these to get these dependent batches of packages.

The script is in https://pagure.io/R/packaging (in R, sorry). Finally,
I filtered out the packages that are currently in the side tag.

@spot is using just "R 4.2.1".

> And for rawhide / f38, I'd need the same, but the list of *all*
> packages that need to be built, not only the ones that are still
> missing from f38.

blist-38.txt attached. Again, one batch per line. If this rebuild
could be based on the prior one, then there would be no need to do
batches though.

> I'll probably write a short script to handle the actual task and let
> it run in the background today.
>
> Sorry for not volunteering earlier, but I'm already at my limits wrt/
> time I can spend on Fedora.

No need to apologise. On the contrary, it's very generous of you
considering all the things you have on your plate already.

--
Iñaki Úcar