Re: Help needed: build failure trying to upgrade healpix

On 8/3/2022 2:00 PM, Kevin Kofler via devel wrote:
Jeff Law wrote:
That would eliminate the need for those crazy macros.  The problem is
many packages have configury bits that are ancient and can't be rebuilt
with modern autotools.
I have a hard time believing that.
Well, having been the one that did the work, I can tell you that trying to convert circa 2008 autoconf files to anything modern isn't always trivial.    I'll also note that locally I was testing things by capturing the generated config.h files before/after all these bits went in and comparing them - across all of the Fedora packages.  That's actually how we knew what insanity we had to fix in the generated configure scripts to ensure the resulting config.h files were identical.  BUt if you think there's a good way to get to a place where we consistently use a reasonably modern autoconf, then by all means, be my guest to make it happen and we can zap the configure sed hacking insanity.
Even the gigantic KDE 3 autotools mess last updated by upstream in 2008 can
be regenerated with current autotools with only 6 patches (2 of which only
fix hardcoded maximum version numbers).
"gigantic KDE 3 autotools mess" -- now imagine whatever effort there was to fix that and apply it to potentially hundreds of packages. Worse yet, ponder how you're going to determine if you got it right,  particularly on a package you don't know anything about :-)

I'd *love* to it to be policy that things work after an autoconf -fiv (or whatever args we choose), but someone will have to step up and do the work.

jeff