Re: Late notice about breaking changes in python-stripe and python-twilio in Fedora 37

Adam,

Thank you for the clarification!

On Wed, Aug 10, 2022 at 9:00 PM Adam Williamson <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 2022-08-10 at 12:33 +0300, Roman Inflianskas via devel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Two packages that I (co)maintain: python-stripe (3.4.0) and python-twilio
> (7.12.0) have breaking changes in Fedora 37 compared to Fedora 36.
>
> See migration notes:
> https://github.com/stripe/stripe-python/wiki/Migration-Guide-for-v3 for
> python-stripe
> https://github.com/twilio/twilio-python/blob/main/CHANGES.md for
> python-twilio
>
> These packages are already in Fedora 37 repositories, but I hope that there
> is still time to add this information to release notes of unreleased Fedora
> 37.
>
> The reason for my mistake is that I have misread this phrase (
> https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/fesco/Updates_Policy/#_rawhide):
> > When a proposed update contains an ABI or API change: notify a week in
> advance both the devel list and maintainers directly (using the
> packagename-maintainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx alias) whose packages depend on
> yours to rebuild or offer to do these rebuilds for them.
>
> I thought that it is necessary to notify about the breaking changes only if
> there are packages that depend on my package. Since there were no packages
> depending on these packages, I have skipped the notification. Just recently
> I understood that I should notify devel list in any case, since there
> should be an update in release notes.

Actually, I think your initial understanding was closer. That element
of the policy is mainly aimed at ensuring dependent packages are
updated when necessary. I would not usually expect to see a
notification in a case like this (though it can't hurt, of course).

The release notes are not put together based on mails to devel@ ,
there's a separate process for that: if you think something should be
in the release notes, file an issue at
https://pagure.io/fedora-docs/release-notes .

Again, I wouldn't *generally* expect "we updated our package of X to a
new version and there are breaking changes upstream" to make the
downstream release notes. If it did we'd probably have hundreds of
those with every Fedora release. I think there is a general
understanding that release boundaries are where we pull in things like
"new non-backward compatible versions of Python libraries".
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA

--