Fedora Badges - Long Term Maintenance Discussion

Hey folks,

Fedora Badges[0] is one of the most loved projects in our community but it’s in a bad state right now. There are multiple problems with it ranging from outdated compatibility with our authentication system and messaging bus, to it using a not-so-friendly framework for community members (Pyramid). All of these combined make it a tricky application to approach and fix.

The Community Platform Engineering team have been discussing in recent weeks what would be the best solution to fix badges, whether a rewrite of the application would be best or whether a refactoring is the way to go. The problem though is that unfortunately Fedora Badges doesn’t fit exactly into the CPE team mission[1], but we do understand its importance in the Fedora community.

We felt that the best course of action to make Badges better for everyone is to try to make space for a project ‘team’ of sorts that is made up of folks from the CPE team and Fedora community volunteers who would work on developing a solution for the Badges service together, from ideation to delivery. But first we need to assemble the Avengers Team and some terms and a proposal of who will take on what work needs to be agreed on.

While the Badges application is not within the CPE teams remit to maintain, the CPE team would like to offer to:

On the community maintainer(s) side, we would like them to:

So before our team can move ahead, we would like to reach out to the Fedora community to ask for a maintainer(s) for the Badges application who will be able to work (part time is fine) with the CPE team in developing a better Badges for all!
If you are interested in working with us to improve the Badges application and become its maintainer, please respond to this Discussion thread[2] (this discussion remains open until mid September).

[0] https://badges.fedoraproject.org/
[1] https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/cpe/#_our_responsibilities
[2] https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/t/fedora-badges-long-term-maintenance-discussion/41109

Cheers,