Re: future of dual booting Windows and Fedora, redux

Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> It's DRM, not ransomware.

Sounds to me like "it's not crap, it's poop". ;-)

> It's locking in, not deleting, your existing access

It sneakily encrypts your data forcing you to fulfill specific conditions to
access it, just like ransomware does.

> and tying it to specific hardware and software.

That is DRM-like behavior, yes. But regular DRM does not restrict your own
data behind your back. (That does not mean I condone standard DRM though.)

> It was presented originally as a "security feature", but it was pretty
> clear from day one that it was designed for digital rights management and
> vendor lock-in.

It fits all under the Treacherous Computing scheme. TPM, Restricted Boot,
Bitlocker, DRM, etc. are all pieces of the puzzle. Some work together, some
are separate, but they are all parts of the overall scheme.

(By the way, the name "Bitlocker" even SOUNDS like a ransomware.)

        Kevin Kofler