Re: future of dual booting Windows and Fedora, redux

On Fri, Jul 29, 2022, at 9:29 AM, Philipp Homann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> haven't read all the posts, maybe this was mentioned in one of them.
>
> What about an EFI binary, which sets the next boot entry and initiates
> a reboot?
> This can be loaded by grub with the next boot device as parameter,
> which can be dynamically set on grub config generation.
> Or even as a BLS entry.

I guess GRUB could chainload this EFI program. The EFI program looks for the "Windows" boot entry in NVRAM and sets it as bootnext, then reboots the system.

Of course this EFI binary would need to be signed with an appropriate Fedora CA for UEFI Secure Boot.

I don't know if making this a standlone EFI program really accelerates getting it ready to deploy, compared to just making it  a GRUB module.

--
Chris Murphy