Re: future of dual booting Windows and Fedora, redux

On Thu, Jul 28, 2022 at 07:47:15PM +0200, Vitaly Zaitsev via devel wrote:
> On 26/07/2022 20:05, Chris Murphy wrote:
> Microsoft has published a new security bulletin on the current state of
> Secure Boot:
> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/information-protection/secure-the-windows-10-boot-process
>
> The most important note:
>
> > Secured-core PCs require Secure Boot to be enabled and configured to distrust the Microsoft 3rd Party UEFI CA signature, by default, to provide customers with the most secure configuration of their PCs possible.
>
> TL;DR. The new certified by Microsoft devices will be able to load only
> Microsoft Windows in the UEFI Secure Boot enabled mode.

I read that as meaning there are two different certifications

  * "Certified For Windows PCs"  - the traditional behaviour we've known,
    where the 3rd party UEFI CA  is enabled by defualt

  * "Secured-core PCs" - a new certification promoted as a more secure
    out of the box setup, where 3rd party UEFI CA is disabled by default

This doesn't mean that everything is suddenly going to be 'Secure-cored"
and thus prevent use of shim out of the box.

This other doc gives more details

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/device-experiences/OEM-highly-secure-11

[quote]
Microsoft works closely with OEM partners to help ensure that all certified
Windows systems deliver a secure operating environment. Windows integrates
closely with the hardware to deliver protections that take advantage of
available hardware capabilities:

   * Baseline Windows security – recommended baseline for all individual
     systems that provides foundational system integrity protections.
     Leverages TPM 2.0 for a hardware root of trust, secure boot and
     BitLocker drive encryption.
   * Virtualization-based security enabled – leverages virtualization
     capabilities from hardware and the hypervisor to provide additional
     protection for critical subsystems and data.
   * Secured-core – recommended for the most sensitive systems and
     industries like financial, healthcare, and government agencies.
     Builds on the previous layers and leverages advanced processor
     capabilities to provide protection from firmware attacks.
[/quote]

An open question is just how widely the OEM hardware vendors will
deploy "Secured core" hardware in practice. If they only do this
for enterprise hardware they sell with Windows pre-installed, then
it might not become a big deal, as those running Linux will typically
opt out of Windows pre-install. If they deploy 'Secured core' across
all hardware, both consumer and enterprise, and/or regardless of OS
preinstall choice, then it will become more of a pain for consumers
wanting to run Linux.

With regards,
Daniel