Re: future of dual booting Windows and Fedora, redux

On Wed, Jul 27, 2022 at 05:07:39AM +0200, Kevin Kofler via devel wrote:
> Chris Murphy wrote:
> > cryptsetup does have Bitlocker support, so long as you have the recovery
> > key you can unlock and get access to your data, I've tested this.
>
> But you need a recovery key to begin with, because the main key is sealed in
> the TPM and not visible from anything other than Windows.
>
> So Bitlocker essentially forces Windows on you.

  Bitlocker is part of Windows. Sure, cryptsetup supports it, but if you
are using cryptsetup already maybe stick with LUKS2?

> > This is entirely beside the point though, which is to try and make dual
> > boot as useful for users as possible. We want users to be confident about
> > both OS's remain accessible in a discoverable way, without having to jump
> > through hoops.
>
> Sure. Really sad though that we have to work around a broken piece of
> "security" software that effectively functions like a ransomware.
>
> Where is the outcry about this misfeature?

  Not here, thankfully. This is fedora-devel, I consider name-calling
other operating systems to be offtopic here.

--
Tomasz Torcz           “(…) today's high-end is tomorrow's embedded processor.”
tomek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx                      — Mitchell Blank on LKML