Re: future of dual booting Windows and Fedora, redux

Chris Murphy wrote:
> a. Fix GRUB by giving it the ability to modify UEFI NRAM "bootnext" value,
> so that instead of chainloading the Windows bootloader from GRUB, GRUB
> will modify the system NVRAM such that the next boot (only) will directly
> boot the Windows bootloader. Thus far there's no interest by GRUB
> upstream. Whereas systemd-boot has implemented it.

As I already mentioned the last time this has come up: Why can we not,
instead of chainloading Windows directly, chainload a systemd-boot
configured to always bootnext to Windows? GRUB would still think it boots
Windows directly. (I do not see why it would notice any difference, all that
would change is the name of the image that gets chainloaded.) And systemd-
boot does not need to know that it is being chainloaded from GRUB. So I do
not see why that would not work, without any changes to the software.

        Kevin Kofler