Re: repoquery-fu (was Re: Retiring the pcre package from Fedora)

On Sat, Jul 23, 2022 at 4:14 AM Dan Čermák
<dan.cermak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > Replying in general...
> >
> > I've asked about a "one script to rule them all" a few times over my 10+
> > year Fedora packaging career and it's fallen on deaf ears.
> >
> > I hope something will happen this time. There should really be only ONE way
> > to determine what packages need to be rebuilt, even if it's not perfect, we
> > can deal with the corner cases but everyone doing their own thing has
> > definitely been worse.
>
> In a perfect world koji or koschei would figure this out themselves and
> perform the rebuilds for us so that we can finally stop thinking about
> build orders and dependencies ourselves.

The sad part is that Koschei can do it, but the build system folks
have so far refused to enhance Koji and Koschei to do this for
creating *real builds* that are auto-submitted.

We have all the pieces to do it now, especially with being able to
generate random side-tags and merge them freely. Koschei knows the
build order and calculates dependency drift pretty well already. It
uses that to trigger scratch builds, we just need it to do real builds
in a generated side tag. But we need a build counter that is
independent of us doing bumps in Git[1]. Sadly, that was ripped out of
rpmautospec, making it useless for making package maintenance less
tedious.

[1]: https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/t/rfc-build-tag-in-rpms/39954