Re: Retiring the pcre package from Fedora

V Fri, Jul 22, 2022 at 03:21:02PM +0200, Lukas Javorsky napsal(a):
> The list of affected packages I've provided was generated using the 'dnf
> repoquery --alldeps --whatrequires pcre'
>
> Is this command giving the right output or should I use another? If so
> which one?

If I run your command on current F37 Koji build root, I don't get perl. Only
3 packages written in Perl. Normally I would blame an outdated repository, but
perl has never required pcre. Therefore my question. My only explanation is
a cut-and-paste mistake.

That command needs to be applied to all subpackages of pcre source package.
E.g. pcre-utf16 adds "sigil" to a heap of affected packages.

No command is universally good, because it always depends on what you want to
get.  Recently there was a thread discussing these queries at length.

I think your command is good enough to get a quite accurate view on the
affected packages. I would only apply --srpm option to see components instead
of binary packages.

Then the list shrinks to managable 105 components. That's not so much. Of
course there are some high-profile componentes like grep, 389-ds-base, swig,
kdelibs, postfix, and swig. And some of them will be very expensive to port
(either because they use pcre extensively, or abuses a private API, or the
code is simply too old and nobody wants to touch it), but that's a life and
I think with help by their maintainers and upstreams, it's not impossible. Of
course not in a month until F37. It will require some time.

More disappointing is a majority of niche components whose upstream is dead or
not motivated to port. Those will need to go. A problem of pcre is that it's
too good. Applications which do not need a thread safety, latest Unicode
features, or few per cents of performance, won't see a benefit in the port.

-- Petr