Re: pre-change: lower printk setting after switching to real root

On Do, 21.07.22 05:56, Colin Walters (walters@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> >> We recently did
> >> https://github.com/coreos/fedora-coreos-config/pull/1840 for Fedora
> >> CoreOS (more background:
> >> https://github.com/coreos/fedora-coreos-tracker/issues/1244 ) and
> >> I'd like to consider applying this to all Fedora editions.
> >>
> >> There'd be no impact on desktop systems (commonly installed via
> >> Anaconda and hence using `quiet`).
> >>
> >> The benefit is for server systems where we *do* want some kernel
> >> output at boot, but once we've successfully booted we don't want to
> >> emit a message every time podman/docker creates a bridge device for
> >> example.
> >>
> >> Concretely today, I noticed that the RHEL 8.6 Cloud Guest image also
> >> does not include `quiet` and so the kernel console log is full of
> >> the same spam at runtime, and I think it makes sense to do this
> >> change across all Fedora derivatives.
> >
> > I am note entirely sure if this feature has merit or not,
>
> Definitely interested in your opinion, because...a bikeshed here is
> where to put this unit if it's not systemd.

The thing is that serial console output from the kernel is really slow
and slows down the kernel (because it's synchronous, in some way). And
this slowness is not just minor issue you can ignore, it's actually
massive, if you do that across your fleet.

OTOH I am also not sure that this kinda of cosmetics really matter on
servers. They are usually not interacted with on their console, except
for debugging. But in that case, wouldn't it be better to just allow
the whole logs to go through?

So there are reasons not to log to the console needlessly, and there
are reasons to always log to the console to improve debugging.

Hence, it doesn't appear to me that it is clear that doing what you
are proposing is universially a good idea. It kinda feels as if in 30%
of uses it might be beneficial, in 30% people would hate it, and in
30% people might not care...

That's why I don't really want to agree or disagree with the proposal,
it's not clear at all to me that what you are doing there is a good
idea across the board. It might be in the coreos case, if you say so,
but universally, i am not sure.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Berlin