Re: F37 proposal: z13 as the Baseline for IBM Z Hardware (Self-Contained Change proposal)

On Fri, Jul 15, 2022 at 9:50 PM Ben Cotton <bcotton@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The current minimum at zEC12 is
> targeting hardware that has been already obsoleted by the vendor.

As I understand it, while zEC12 is EOL (you can no longer
purchase it), it is not (yet) EOS, so existing systems can
still obtain service from IBM, although IBM would have
been trying for some time to get one to upgrade to a
more recent variant of those z systems.

So while some sites still might be using EC12 hardware,
I suspect few run Fedora (even if only in a VM under z/VM),
and if they run linux native it is likely they are running an
enterprise variant, and EL8 already requires z13 or higher,
and EL9 requires z14 or higher (so the hardware is
already recent).

Given that s390x is a niche target for Fedora, I don't
really think that this change will have any real world
impact if approved.

That all said, I do agree with others that it should
have gotten approved earlier such that the mass
rebuild would catch any build issues.