Re: Comaintainer(s) wanted for qt5-qtwebengine

Demi Marie Obenour wrote:
> What advantage does Falkon have over upstream Chromium?  Serious question.

Better desktop integration. (Especially KDE Plasma integration, but there is
also a gnome-keyring plugin available. The KF5/Plasma integration plugin
uses KWallet, of course, but also does other things.) E.g.:
* native Qt widgets for everything outside the web view (what the Firefox
source code confusingly calls the "chrome" with a small 'c' – perhaps
unsurprisingly, I have not seen that term used that way in Chromium code):
menu bar, toolbars, tab widget, status bar, dialogs,
* native file dialogs wherever Qt has native file dialog support (KDE file
dialogs, GTK file dialogs, etc.), otherwise the default Qt ones are used,
* a native Qt scroll bar instead of the Chromium one for the site's main
scrollbar (somewhat hacky, but usually works),
* support for storing passwords securely in KWallet (though sadly as binary
blobs and not in the key-value format that KWallet is designed for) (*),
* crash handling with KCrash and DrKonqi rather than homegrown Breakpad (*),
* additional URL protocols using KIO (e.g., man:, info:, gopher:, etc. –
try, e.g., man:grep, info:grep, gopher://gopher.floodgap.com/1/world) (*),
* a "Share page" menu using the KDE Purpose Framework (*).

(*) These features require the KDE KF5/Plasma integration plugin, i.e., the
optional falkon-kde subpackage. Everything else is built-in into Falkon
and/or Qt.

Even on GNOME, with QGnomePlatform and the falkon-gnome-keyring plugin,
Falkon ends up integrating better in some aspects than Chromium or Firefox.

I use Falkon as my daily browser. It is normally the only browser I use on
my desktop and notebook. (I have Firefox as a fallback, but do not normally
need it, because QtWebEngine is 99+% compatible with Chrome.) And my
smartphone is a PinePhone running Plasma Mobile, on which I use Angelfish as
my one and only browser, a mobile browser also using QtWebEngine.

        Kevin Kofler