Re: Announcing fmt library soversion bump

On 7/19/22 08:04, Richard Shaw wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 19, 2022 at 4:32 AM Vitaly Zaitsev via devel <
> devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On 19/07/2022 01:28, Miro Hrončok wrote:
>>> I see https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2022-ee990d1f61
>> was
>>> pushed with just a handful of builds, while many others are broken. What
>>> happened here?
>>
>> Maintainers had 1 week to rebuild all their packages. Most did nothing.
>> Blame them, not me.
>>
>> I did my best: announced it in ML, waited 1 week, asked for the
>> provenpackager assistance multiple times both in ML and IRC/Matrix. No
>> one volunteered to help me.
>>

> Unfortunately it's very difficult to "coordinate" things like this with a
> worldwide community. Someone / somewhere is always "holiday" or "summer
> vacation", or in my case last week was my son's summer camp. In reality, a
> week really isn't enough time but we can't have stuff like this going on
> for months either so if you maintain a package that has a large number of
> dependencies it may be time to work on becoming a proven packager so you
> can at least rebuild other packages or apply "easy" fixes.

I wonder if Fedora should have a way of saying “this release breaks
ABI, rebuild all dependent packages automatically”.  This would allow
dynamic linking of Rust and Haskell programs, which have no stable
ABI at all.  Bodhi or koji would rebuild all dependent packages and
push them out (following the usual testing process) without the need
for any intervention by those packages’ maintainers.
--
Sincerely,
Demi Marie Obenour (she/her/hers)