Re: Heads-up: Qt 5.15 update and changes to private API deps

On 15/07/2022 07:48, Jan Grulich wrote:
I'm 100% sure Qt doesn't break ABI compatibility between patch releases for public API. Would you be a happy paying customer if they break ABI for a library you are paying for? With private API there is no such promise, but I don't think ABI breakages will happen at
this point.

For example you can build Telegram Desktop against 5.15.0 and then try to run it under 5.15.4. The GUI will be completely broken and unusable. Also messages will be displayed vertically - each letter on a new line.

Same for Qt 6.

Telegram is not a great example, or rather it's a great example of an app that should always
depend on the exact Qt version it was built against. They are using private API more than
any other application with tons of custom implementations.

Now they only use the private APIs of QtGui and QtWayland.

--
Sincerely,
  Vitaly Zaitsev (vitaly@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)