Re: Shall we add a limit to number of packages in a Bodhi update?

Jul 13, 2022 10:45:02 AM Mattia Verga via devel <devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Meanwhile I'll keep an eye on the recent massive Golang update (which
> carries 315 builds...) to see if it shows any hiccups. (I'm quite
> surprised it didn't screw up already)

The recent 315 build F35 Bodhi update is not the first one that I've
done. I've done the same thing for F36 and F37 with minimal hiccups,
including the gating tests timing out due to the amount of packages and
needing to be waived. The other rebuilds that I did not perform had
issues for reasons unrelated to the amount of packages in them.

I've also written a script to check for new builds that involve the
packages in the rebuild so I can warn the packagers not to push those
until the sidetag is merged to avoid the problem we had with snapd last
time.

> I wonder if it would be safe to set a cap to the number of builds a
> single Bodhi update can carry. I think **really** massive updates (say
> more than 99 builds?) should be handled manually asking Releng to merge
> the side-tag manually.

That's fine with me. I'm happy to work with releng to make this process
smoother in the future. The Python rebuilds are already handled like
this. However, they have thousands of packages instead of hundreds.

Would those still have to wait 7 days, though? The nice thing about
submitting through Bodhi is that the updates can get karma and proceed
to stable sooner, which is desirable for security updates.

--
Thanks,

Maxwell G (@gotmax23)
Pronouns: He/Him/His