Re: Suggestion: Use a unified kernel image by default in the future.

On Mi, 06.07.22 16:13, Gerd Hoffmann (kraxel@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> grub2 doesn't find it.  Support not implemented?

afics grub2 upstream has no native support for boot loader spec
stuff. (or has that changed?)

The fedora version of grub2 implements a flavour of type #1 boot loader spec
entries (i.e. .conf entries), but not type #2 (i.e. unified kernels), iirc.

> Ok, lets try systemd-boot instead.  Install.
> Chainload from grub for now:
>
> root@fedora ~/mkosi-initrd (main)# cat /boot/grub2/custom.cfg
> if [ "$grub_platform" = "efi" ]; then
> 	menuentry 'systemd boot loader' {
> 		chainloader (hd0,gpt1)/efi/systemd/systemd-bootx64.efi
> 	}
> fi
>
> systemd-boot doesn't find it either.  Double-checking.  ESP mounted at
> /boot/efi.  Directory looks fine to me:
>
> root@fedora ~/mkosi-initrd (main)# ll /boot/efi/EFI/Linux
> total 77832
> -rwx------. 1 root root 79698816 Jul  6 15:36 unified-5.18.9-200.fc36.x86_64.efi
>
> Any clues?

I am not a grub guy, haven't used it in a long time. But my educated
guess is this: I think grub might load the chainloaded binary into
memory itself, and then execute it from there, instead of invoking it
directly from the ESP file system. This matters because if sd-boot is
invoked from a synthetic file in memory we cannot derive the directory
tree of the ESP from it, and thus not find boot loader entries.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Berlin