Re: F37 change proposal: Make Fedora CoreOS a Fedora Edition (System-Wide change)

On Tue, 2022-07-05 at 23:29 -0400, Chris Murphy wrote:

> > Fedora CoreOS is unique in that by default nodes are automatically updated. We let the exact content
> > set that we are going to ship to our `stable` stream bake in our `testing` stream for ~two weeks. This
> > allows people to find issues that we don't find in our CI and report them. We find CI is good, but
> > there is no substitute for real workloads.
> >
> > The exact content set delivered as part of Fedora GA isn't available two weeks before GA date so it's
> > hard for us to ship GA content in our `stable` stream on GA day and follow our current update model.
> >
> > We do have the `next` stream which does get updated often in the weeks before GA, but a significantly
> > smaller set of users are running `next`.
>
> Given the amount of testing happening to produce GA, is it possible to
> have an exception to the 2 week rule for GA?

I did talk about this with Dusty already, and my opinion is the two
week delay is fine. The situations aren't the same, as Dusty said,
CoreOS is unique here: pushing something out on the 'stable' stream
means that almost all CoreOS users (who haven't changed the default
config) will get it almost immediately. That's not the case with
'regular' Fedora installs, where the user chooses when to upgrade. Many
users don't upgrade to a new release as soon as it comes out, they'd
rather wait and see how things shake out. For me, the two week delay
for the CoreOS 'stable' stream to be kicked over is just the same as
that.

I wouldn't be happy if we didn't have a coherent and definite story to
tell here, but "the CoreOS stable stream will update to the new release
in two weeks, or you can switch to the 'next' stream to get it right
away!" is a perfectly fine story to tell on release day, I think.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA