Re: F37 proposal: Add -fno-omit-frame-pointer to default compilation flags (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Tue, Jul 5, 2022 at 9:16 PM Matthias Clasen <mclasen@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 30, 2022 at 4:55 AM Kevin Kofler via devel <devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Daan De Meyer via devel wrote:
>> > Which shows a smaller than 1% slowdown between the binary built with frame
>> > pointers and the binary built without frame pointers.
>>
>> I am still strongly opposed to degrading performance and size for all users
>> just to help the handful users of poorly-designed profiling tools.
>>

> I am coming a bit late to this discussion, but I would like to inject the viewpoint that 'performance' (however defined)
> isn't the only criterion by which we should just judge what Fedora produces. At least for Fedora Workstation, being
> a useful system for developers with working debugging and profiling tools should have some weight too.
>
> And I doubt that you'd be able to notice a 'smaller than 1% slowdown' on your system.

I see one big problem with this argument - it is coloured from the
point of view of a (C) developer. While software developers know how
to - and are able to, if they need to - recompile libraries to make
them better suitable for profiling, normal users don't know how to do
that (if they even have beefy enough hardware to make this possible to
do for them, at all). And if we say this argument is valid, then
should we also build all our packages with ASAN / TSAN / etc.
instrumentation, as well? It would make developing and debugging
safety-critical software with AddressSanitizer etc. *much* easier on
Fedora, even it will make everything run "a bit" slower. (Yes, I know
that this is a "slippery-slope argument", but I liked the comparison
of this proposed Change with using ASAN / TSAN / etc. instrumentation
just too much to not include it here.)

I don't want Fedora to become a less good "general-purpose linux
distribution" just to make it a better environment for a small share
(those who need to do profiling against *system libraries*) of a small
share of the target audience (developers). We can probably count the
number of people who want to profile their software running on top of
Fedora libraries on one (or at most, two) hands, but we have hundreds
of thousands of users who would be negatively impacted by this change
- even if by a little bit, and of course, those changes add up over
time, as well.

Workstation is not the only edition of Fedora, and developers are not
the only target audience. Developers who run profiling tools against
libraries from Fedora packages are even fewer people. I assume that
making binaries bigger (?) and make them run less efficiently would
have a bigger impact for some other target audiences, especially the
IoT space, where CPUs are less powerful (and have fewer available
registers). All editions and spins build on top of the same packages
from Fedora repositories, and making them less fit for purpose for
everybody "just" to make sampling-based profiling work better for a
few people does not seem like a worthwhile trade-off to me.

Fabio