Re: Suggestion: Use a unified kernel image by default in the future.

> Demi Marie Obenour <demiobenour@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> How big is the demand for this kind of lockdown?  As a
>>> since-last-century Linux user, I'm choosing Fedora exactly to NOT
>>> have all this signing/trusted boot complications on my systems and I
>>> do not see a reason to turn Fedora into Android (or, worse, iOS).

tl;dr: that's not what Secure Boot is; packed kernel+initrd images may
be in the cards

As one of the people responsible for getting Fedora's shim signed and
therefore making Secure Boot work, I feel it's necessary to clarify that
we don't agree with any of the misinformation in this thread:

Secure Boot is not lockout.  Secure Boot is not designed or even
intended to keep you out of your own machine.  The entire trust model
assumes that if you have physical access, it's your machine: you can
manipulate keys, and even turn Secure Booting off.  If you don't own the
machine... well, then you're an attacker, it's designed to keep you out,
and as I'm not a blackhat, you'll get no help from me :)

How you configure your own hardware, should you choose to do so, is your
own business and I won't tell you how to do that.  But as it adds a
tangible security benefit, and even if you're doing custom
module/kernel/etc. builds, it's really not very difficult to add your
own key and sign.

Secure Boot can be thought of as primarily a way to avoid attacker
persistence on the system.  Supposing someone otherwise roots the
machine, by restricting boot targets to known good (as determined by
machine owner or distro vendor), we make it much harder to (for example)
deploy a bootkit, or load a malicious kmod.  This isn't perfect (see the
original post), but it's clearly better than not having it, and problems
like "the initrd isn't signed" are eminently solvable.

While I will not be responding to all the dangerously incorrect things
that have or can be said, here's a sample reply:

Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I only care about secure boot enough to bootstrap a Free platform.

False dichotomy.  Secure Boot isn't nonfree, nor is the Fedora ecosystem
somehow decoupled from it.

> Secure Boot is generally not designed as a tool to provide security

Wildly, dangerously incorrect.  (And it's not a tool - many components
work together to enable it, including the kernel.)

> unless you rip out all the certs and use your own exclusively. At that
> point, you can do whatever you want.

If you're doing custom builds, you're of course encouraged to use your
own certs.  How you configure your own machine is, again, your business.

> Most PCs are poorly designed to handle doing this procedure, and it's
> too easy to accidentally break the computer entirely by doing so. It's
> just not worth it.

Groundless speculation, and not correct.

> I treat Secure Boot purely as a compatibility interface. We need to do
> just enough to get through the secure boot environment.

Again, this misunderstands the security boundary.

Be well,
--Robbie