Re: Suggestion: Use a unified kernel image by default in the future.

On Sat, Jun 25, 2022 at 08:43:18PM -0400, Neal Gompa wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 25, 2022 at 4:14 PM Demi Marie Obenour
> <demiobenour@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > How big is the demand for this kind of lockdown?
> > > As a since-last-century Linux user, I'm choosing Fedora
> > > exactly to NOT have all this signing/trusted boot
> > > complications on my systems and I do not see a reason
> > > to turn Fedora into Android (or, worse, iOS).
> > It’s necessary for secure boot to actually be meaningful in
> > practice.  I expect that people who care about secure boot
> > will want this.
>
> I don't. I only care about secure boot enough to bootstrap a Free
> platform. Secure Boot is generally not designed as a tool to provide
> security unless you rip out all the certs and use your own
> exclusively. At that point, you can do whatever you want.
>
> Most PCs are poorly designed to handle doing this procedure, and it's
> too easy to accidentally break the computer entirely by doing so. It's
> just not worth it.
>
> I treat Secure Boot purely as a compatibility interface. We need to do
> just enough to get through the secure boot environment.

Many of the same issues & concepts from Secure Boot are involved in
confidential virtualization technology. This provides mechanism to
boot virtual machines on public cloud hosts, with strong protection
against a malicious host OS user snooping on what's going on in your
VM. You establish a trust relationship with the CPU hardware/firmware,
and once verified you can be confident the VM is booted with the guest
firmware, bootloader, kernel, initrd, cmdline that you deployed. This
will close one of the biggest security gaps between public cloud and
running on hardware you own & control yourself, so will be relevant
to anyone who uses cloud.  Being able to improve kernel/initrd/cmdline
handling for SecureBoot will be beneficial for confidential computing,
and vica-verca.

With regards,
Daniel